Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arbroath Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Arbroath Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 82297

Site Number NO64SW 108

NGR NO 6389 4099

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/82297

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Arbroath And St Vigeans
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO64SW 108 6389 4099.

See also NO64SW 85 and NO64SW 109.

(Location cited as NO 639 410). Arbroath Station, opened 1848, rebuilt 1911 by the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway. A 3-platform through station on a curve, with handsome brick and sandstone platform buildings. On the up platform there is a steel-framed, glazed awning supported on cast-iron columns, and on the down (island) platform, the awning is cantilevered. The booking office is on a bridge over the up end of the station, in a single-storey, 6-bay block, with a bracketted awning.

On the down side, in the yard, is a single-storey rubble building with four arched entrances, probably the engine shed of the Dundee and Arbroath and Aberdeen Rlys.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen main line of the former North British Rly was opened on 1 February 1848 by the Dundee & Arbroath Joint Rly, replacing predecessor stations at Catherine Street and Lady Loan. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

As rebuilt by the Caledonian and North British Rlys in 1911, the station has two platforms and is in plain solid school-style with a cast-iron roof and cast iron columns, typical of the period. The public clock (by Jas Ritchie and Sons, Edinburgh) remains in order and the interesting large stone shed in the goods yard is probably the old joint railway engine shed.

Infirmation from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 July 2000.

B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

Arbroath station was at first two separate termini, in 1839, for the Arbroath and Forfar and for the Dundee and Arbroath railways. Through-passengers

had to walk from one to the other terminus until a deep rock cutting was formed from 1845 by John Miller. The railway platforms were remodelled in 1911 and the early locomotive depot/ goods shed was only recently demolished. A hand crane marks the spot and a signal box stands at the level crossing to the west.

M Watcon, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions