Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Little Hareshaw

Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Tile Works (19th Century)

Site Name Little Hareshaw

Classification Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Tile Works (19th Century)

Canmore ID 82242

Site Number NS86SW 63.01

NGR NS 8172 6077

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/82242

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Shotts (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Field Visit (15 July 1992)

NS86SW 63.01 8172 6077.

About 200m SSE of the site of Little Hareshaw steading, above the N bank of the Tillan Burn, there is a group of earthworks and spoil tips marking the site of a tile works. Grossart (1880) noted that 'there is an establishment at Little Hareshaw for the manufacture of water and sewage pipes, fire-bricks, chimney-cans, and other fire-clay goods, but it is not in operation at present', and the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1899, sheet xii) depicts a roofed building standing within a three-sided enclosure, to the W of a disused mine (NS86SW 63.00).

There is now no trace of the building, but the rectangular enclosure, open to the E, survives. It measures 14m from E to W by 8.2m transversely within a bank 4.9m thick and 1.6m high, which appears to be composed chiefly of cinders, slag and broken bricks. To the NW of the enclosure there are traces of a building, now marked only by robber-trenches, around which spoil has been piled, and there are further dumps to the S and E of the enclosure. There is a pond or tank to the NE of the enclosure, and another, of sub-rectangular shape, to the S of that, the latter being bounded on its E side by the incline associated with coal pit NS86SW 63.00.

The spoil tips at the W and S edges of the site overlie rig-and-furrow cultivation.

(CSW 4022)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 15 July 1992

Measured Survey (13 September 1992)

RCAHMS surveyed the tileworks at Little Hareshaw on 13 September 1992 at a scale of 1:500, with the resultant plan redrawn in ink.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions