Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barbreck House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Barbreck House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 82079

Site Number NM80NW 48

NGR NM 83094 06395

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/82079

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Craignish
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM80NW 48 83086 06403

An 'Adam' house, built 1790 by an unknown architect.

M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Barbreck House (Nr Lochgilphead)

RCAHMS - photostat copies - 2 sheets ground and second floor plans.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1962)

Photographic survey of buildings on the Barbreck Estate, Argyll, by the Socttish National Buildings Record in 1962

Field Visit (May 1989)

This mansion stands in open landscaped policies in the lower valley of the Barbreck River, 1.4km from the head of Loch Craignish. The original Campbell family of Barbreck, descended from the Campbells of Lochawe in the 15th century, lost their estate by forfeiture in 1732 (see No. 277), and part of it was granted by the 4th Duke of Argyll in 1768 to John Campbell, a distinguished military officer and grandson of Alexander Campbell of Lochnell. He augmented the estate by purchases, including Turnalt (No. 183), and built the present house which bears the date 1790, although its first assessment for window-tax, with thirty-eight windows, was in 1793, the year before General Campbell's death. He was succeeded by his nephew, General Duncan Campbell of Lochnell (d.l837), and his great nephew, Admiral Donald Campbell of Achanduin and Barbreck (d.l856), whose descendants held the estate until 1930.

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1989

[A full architectural description is provided in RCAHMS 1992 No. 155]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions