Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Leitholm, General

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Leitholm, General

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 82051

Site Number NT74SE 32

NGR NT 78954 44135

NGR Description Centred NT 78954 44135

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/82051

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Eccles
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

There has been a chapel at Leitholm since the thirteenth century, indicating that there was also a settlement at that time. Today, most of the village buildings lie along the Main Street; a comparison of a modern map with the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map of Berwickshire shows that the layout of the village has changed little since the mid-nineteenth century.

Buildings of special interest within the village include the Plough Inn which was built in 1843 and which was used for worship before the construction of Leitholm Church.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT74SE 32 centred 78954 44135

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions