Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Floors Castle, Formal Garden

Formal Garden (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Floors Castle, Formal Garden

Classification Formal Garden (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Floors Castle Policies

Canmore ID 82004

Site Number NT73SW 5.06

NGR NT 7066 3451

NGR Description Centred NT 7066 3451

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/82004

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

To the west of Floors Castle are the remains of a large walled garden. As a result of the remodelling of Floors Castle by W H Playfair, the main avenue was rerouted and required the old walled kitchen garden to be moved in 1857 to its present site.

The Victorian walled garden comprised a vast glasshouse, known as the Tropical Corridor, which was over 91m long, and housed a large collection of rare tropical plants. Only the retaining wall and a single pavilion of it remains. A small summer house at the northern end of the walled garden is still standing, as is the gardener's house.

Maintaining the gardens at Floors would have been a huge task, and required a full staff of gardeners. The gardener's house still stands in the Walled Garden, and is built in the castellated style of Floors Castle.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73SW 5.06 centred 7066 3451

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions