Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned), Kennels (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Site Name Ruigh-fionntaig

Classification Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned), Kennels (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Canmore ID 81421

Site Number NN89SW 3

NGR NN 843 917

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Alvie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN89SW 3 843 917

The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet cxviii) depicts a farmstead and kennel block at Ruigh-fionntaig to the W of the Allt Lorgaidh.

Information from RCAHMS (P McK) 5 January 1995.

'... a number of houses chiefly of wood and used as a shooting-lodge...'

Name Book 1872.

A shooting-lodge and kennels, comprising thirteen roofed buildings, one partially roofed and one unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet cxviii). Four unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 27 September 1996.

Aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 1995) has recorded traces of rig and furrow cultivation on the valley floor in the area immediately around the previously described unroofed shooting-lodge.

Information from RCAHMS (KB) 29 April 1999.

NN 843 917 - Site identified during an archaeological survey of Glen Feshie. A total of 27 settlements (or clusters of buildings) were recorded, with a total of 293 individual archaeological features.

NN 843 917 The remains of this lodge comprises of 7 stone structures, 1 enclosure and 2 pits.

M. Marshall, October 2003.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions