Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, Old Assembly Close

Midden (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, Old Assembly Close

Classification Midden (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 81392

Site Number NT27SE 558

NGR NT 2583 7353

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 558 2583 7353

Salvage recording of an underpinning trench in the car-park to the S of the former Wireworks showed the existence of medieval deposits to a depth of more than 1.25m from ground level. The deposits observed in section were apparently midden, with much faunal evidence visible. The lower part of the trench which measured 1.70m by 2.35m was cleaned and a small exploratory trench dug. No structural evidence was recovered and the deposits were identical in character to those above. A small number of sherds of East Coast White Gritty Ware were recovered from these lower deposits. Boulder clay was uncovered on the N side of the trench, its surface sloping at c 45 degrees down towards the S.

During a watching brief on a 12m-long service trench in the car-park area the upper levels of similar midden deposits were observed, much of which had been heavily disturbed during the 20th century. Large sandstone rubble from the base of the trench in the centre of the yard may derive from the demolition of an older structure.

M Collard and D A Johnston 1993.

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 558 2583 7363


Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1815. July-December. 8.7.1813

Pet. Commercial Banking Co.

New Assembly Close, High Street.

Plans of two floors and Elevation.

Elevation has note "This is the elevation of the proposed Commercial Bank in the Kings Arms Close, Jas. Gillespie".


Archaeological Evaluation (2001)

NT 2582 7352 An archaeological evaluation involving the excavation of four trenches was carried out on the site of a council car park and Cunningham Hall, Old Fishmarket Close. Two trenches beneath the car park contained structural remains constructed directly onto a terrace cut into the subsoil. These are believed to relate to 18th-century development of the site. They had been demolished in the recent past and the remains are likely to have been pulled to the S where they were used as make-up deposits beneath Cunningham Hall. Two trenches through this material did not reach subsoil, and it is speculated that the hall and southern part of the car park are on a lower terrace. Although the site occupies the area of a fish market depicted on Rothiemay's plan of 1647, no archaeological remains or artefacts related to this were recovered.

Full report lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Burrell Company.

S Stronach 2001


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions