Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Salthouse Head

Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Salthouse Head

Classification Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Peterhead

Canmore ID 81334

Site Number NK14SW 70

NGR NK 13006 44421

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/81334

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Peterhead
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NK14SW 70 13006 44421

This Battery was located on Salthouse Head but has now been demolished with no trace surviving. It consisted in 1940 of 2 x 6 inch Mk XIIB/IX guns and was put on a care and maintainance basis in 1945.

J Guy 1993; NMRS MS 810/1; Royal Artillery Library, Woolwich.

The coast battery is visible on postwar RAF vertical air photographs (541/A/589, 3070-3074, flown 19 August 1950) as two gun-emplacements with several huts in an area immediately E of stone works. No observation tower can be seen on the photographs suggesting the battery either did not have one or it had been removed by this date.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions