Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cummertrees Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Cummertrees Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cummertrees, Old Parish Church; Queensberry Aisle; War Memorial Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 81126

Site Number NY16NW 45

NGR NY 14012 66417

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/81126

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Cummertrees
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY16NW 45.00 14012 66417

Cummertrees Parish Church [NAT]

OS ()GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

NY16NW 45.01 NY 14014 66431 Lych Gate

For related manse (NY 1369 6697), see NY16NW 46.

Cummertrees (Glasgow, Annandale). Granted to Guisborough by Robert de Brus c. 1170 and confirmed by his son William, 1191x1215, the church was frequently in dispute between the canons and the bishops of Glasgow, to whom the patronage was ceded in 1223, while the 'parsons' received increased emoluments. The church was still connected with the prory in 1330, but thereafter resumed the status of independent parsonage within the patronage of ther bishop of Glasgow.

I B Cowan 1967.

Nothing is visible of Cummertrees old parish church, which probably occupied the same site as the present church (19th century). On the S side of the burial-ground, and to the E of the church, there are a number of 18th-century graveslabs. The Queensberry aisle is closed by an iron yett, removed, presumably, from a neighbouring tower-house. The site occupies an area of raised ground which protrudes into an area of scrub in a poorly-drained cleft, a situation similar to the churches at Middlesbie (NY27NW 13) and Applegarth (NY18SW 72).

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/PC) 24 August 1993.

Cummertrees, Parish Church. T-plan church of 1777, now covered with render lined out as ashlar. Plain round-headed windows in the W gable, a bullseye above the moulded doorpiece. On the gable of the N aisle, a birdcage bellcote, its stepped top now surmounted by a fleur-de-lis finial, probably a Victorian alteration.

J Gifford 1996.

Listed as church and burial-ground.

RCAHMS 1997.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: John Starforth.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Repair of the Church and Manse.

Letter from John Alexander, Minister to William Murray of Moriquhat. It concerns the non payment of money due for the repair work.

1684 GD 219/282/10

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Photographic Record (June 2005 - 12 September 2008)

The National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies (NADFAS) visited several churches at risk to record stained glass windows.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (HS), 13 October 2015

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions