Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverurie, Harlaw Road, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, General

Railway Engineering Works (19th Century) - (20th Century)

Site Name Inverurie, Harlaw Road, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, General

Classification Railway Engineering Works (19th Century) - (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Inverurie Railway Workshops; Inverurie Railway Works

Canmore ID 80743

Site Number NJ72SE 121

NGR NJ 7729 2208

NGR Description Centred NJ 7729 2208

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Inverurie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Former Great North of Scotland Railway. Works, Harlaw Road, 1898-1905, William Pickersgill. Created by the GNSR Company engineer as a replacement for their cramped site at Kittybrewster, Aberdeen. The single-storey, steel-framed, granite-clad works buildings covered an area of 41/2 acres; powered by the company's own generator; closed 31 December 1969. The surrounding railway housing, six blocks of two-storey granite houses, 1898-1905, and recreation facilities, developed a character so distinct from the burgh that it was known as 'The Colony'.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press

Architecture Notes

NJ72SE 121.00 centred 7729 2208

NJ72SE 121.01 NJ 77347 22020 Works building with Smithy, Furnace and Foundry

NJ72SE 121.02 NJ 77300 22133 Carriage and Wagon Shop

NJ72SE 121.03 NJ 77250 21979 Manager's Drawing Office

NJ72SE 121.04 NJ 77265 22025 Workshop

For associated workers' housing, see NJ72SE 129.

For (former) boundary stone within the area of the works, see NJ72SE 226.

(Location cited as NJ 774 220). Inverurie Railway Works, built 1898-1905 by the Great North of Scotland Railway, engineer William Pickersgill. A large group of single-storey, steel-framed, granite-clad workshops of varying sizes. Now in multiple occupation.

J R Hume 1977.


Standing Building Recording (9 December 2009 - 11 December 2009)

NJ 7729 2208 A standing building survey was undertaken 9–11 December 2009 of buildings on the Inverurie Locomotive Works prior to their conversion. The works were built between 1898 and 1905 for the Great North of Scotland Railway and were closed in 1969, though they were used for a variety of industrial purposes after that date. The former Carriage and Wagon Shop is 110m long x 55.5m wide with a saw-tooth profile roof of glass and slate supported by a framework of steel on freestanding steel columns. The external walls are

granite. Traces of rails, cranes and inspection pits remained. The former Smithy, Furnace and Foundry Shop is 81m long x 31m wide with two parallel aisles, each with steel spans, supporting the roof. Traces of rails, crane tracks and forge chimneys survived. A workshop and the manager’s office were also recorded.

Reports: Aberdeenshire SMR and RCAHMS

Funder: Malcolm Allan Housebuilders Ltd

HK and JC Murray – Murray Archaeological Services Ltd


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions