Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Keig

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bridge Of Keig

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Keig; River Don

Canmore ID 80716

Site Number NJ61NW 13

NGR NJ 61792 18681

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/80716

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Keig
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bridge of Keig, 1817, Thomas Telford. Brilliantly spare treatment: the Don is crossed by a single segmental arch of 101ft span in sharply squared granite. Above, the road is carried on a slight hump.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ61NW 13 61792 18681

Bridge of Keig [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1980

EXTERNAL REFERENCE: SRO

Bridge over the River Don near Putachie.

Proposal, specification, estimate of £2,054 sterling, elevation and plan.

1815 GD/52/23.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NJ 617 186). Bridge of Keig. Built 1817; engineer Thomas Telford. A single segmental-arched span of 101 ft (30.8m).

J R Hume 1977.

Visible on air photographs AAS/93/G28/4-5, flown 27 October 1993. (Copies held by Grampian Regional Council).

Information from Grampian Regional Council (Mrs M Greig), March 1994.

Newspaper reference: Aberdeen Press and Journal, 27 March 1955.

NMRS, MS/712/56.

This bridge carries the B992 public road over the River Don to the SE of Keig village (NJ61NW 16).

The location assigned to this record defines the apparent midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NJ c. 61787 18699 to NJ c. 61797 18664.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 June 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Bridge of Keig

This bridge, completed in 1817, was almost certainly influenced by Telford’s practice. It now carries the B992 road over the Don on a graceful 101 ft span granite masonry arch which is the third of its type in north-east Scotland. The bridge was built by William Minto.

The site of the bridge was chosen so that its foundations were carried on rock outcrops at each side of the river. Although the specification was prepared by Minto, the configuration of the bridge follows the guidelines laid down by Telford for bridges in the Highlands and the structure shows great simplicity and economy of design.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Project (1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016)

Survey work undertaken to upgrade records of listed buildings by area.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions