Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunbeath, Portormin Harbour

Harbour (19th Century) (1892)

Site Name Dunbeath, Portormin Harbour

Classification Harbour (19th Century) (1892)

Alternative Name(s) Dunbeath Harbour; Dunbeath Bay; Dunbeath Water; North Sea

Canmore ID 8035

Site Number ND12NE 6

NGR ND 16604 29368

NGR Description Centred ND 16604 29368

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8035

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND12NE 6.00 centred 16604 29368

ND12NE 6.01 ND c. 1659 2934 crane

See also:

ND12NE 7 ND 1625 2933 Balcladdich, Cottages

ND12NE 8 ND 1635 2944 Balcladdich, Fishing Station and Gear Store

ND12NE 11 ND 16611 29393 Ice house

ND12NE 12 ND 16565 29439 Fishing store

ND12NE 13 ND 1627 2952 Footbridge

ND12NE 14 ND 1666 2935 Salmon bothy

ND12NE 18 ND 164 294 Hand winch

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Construction of a Harbour

Financing of the project. Estimate 8,474.17.0.[pounds]

Report from Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and letters (copies).

1815 GD 136/707

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as ND 165 293). Harbour, Portormin, Dunbeath, early 19th century. A series of quays along the Dunbeath Water, with a projecting masonry pier protecting the mouth. On the south bank is the ruin of a timber breakwater. There are a large vaulted ice-house (ND12NE 11) excavated out of the valley side, and a 3-storey, 5-bay rubble store (ND12NE 12) with an external stair to the first floor at the E end. An iron lenticular-truss footbridge (ND12NE 13) of c. 1860 leads to the now largely ruined fishing township of Balcladich. The most complete building there is a 2-storey, 7-bay store with a dwelling house attached to one end (dated 1920).

J R Hume 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions