Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Am Fiaclachan

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Jetty (20th Century), Nissen Hut(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Am Fiaclachan

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Jetty (20th Century), Nissen Hut(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 79323

Site Number NG88SE 21.03

NGR NG 84950 83400

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty


Field Visit (8 June 1994)

NG88SE 21.03 849 835

The concrete bases of five Nissen huts are disposed on two W-facing terraces on the W side of the peninsula. There are two circular gun-platforms, connected by a path, one on the crest of the ridge to the NE of the Nissen huts, the other on a low ridge just above the High Water Mark to the SW. Four of the huts are disposed across the first terrace down from the crest of the ridge. A drain cut around the back of this terrace predates the path running down from the northernmost gun-platform and presumably took water away from the huts. The fifth hut lies on the next terrace down towards the sea, along the path to the second gun-platform. A wall slot was visible at the edges of all the bases, and fragments of stoves were visible on three (Inverewe 32-34). C-shaped iron roof trusses and fragments of reinforced glass were the only remains of the superstructure. A rudimentary jetty is tucked in to a small inlet to the S of the Nissen huts, with no visible paths connecting to it.

All the huts were standing in October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4255), while by March 1948 only three remained (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4383) and by May 1952 all had been dismantled or had collapsed (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph 540/725 No. 5137).

(Inverewe 30-36)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.

Field Visit (February 1998 - November 1998)

NTS Survey

Srp Note (2 November 2011)

The site is as described, with the addition of the following details:

the two gun emplacements are made up of fractured stones which cover an area c2.6m in diameter and the largest of the nissen huts is c11m by c5m.

Information from NTS: INVG012 (JH1998)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions