Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Mill Of Knockglass

Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mill Of Knockglass

Classification Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Westfield; Forss Water

Canmore ID 7929

Site Number ND06SE 36

NGR ND 0562 6389

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND06SE 36 0562 6389

A corn mill near the River Forse

Name Book 1870-2

(Location cited as ND 056 639). Mill of Knockglass, Westfield, late 18th or early 19th century. The partly ruined remains of a two-storey rubble building set into a hillside. The overshot wheel was about 4ft (1.22m) wide by 12ft (3.66m) diameter. One 4ft 6ins (1.37m) diameter stone remains.

J R Hume 1977.

A ruinous water-mill with machinery removed.

Information from OS (NKB) 16 September 1981.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions