Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Dunfermline, Townhill, Lilliehill Fire-clay Works

Clay Pit (19th Century), Fire Clay Works (19th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Townhill, Lilliehill Fire-clay Works

Classification Clay Pit (19th Century), Fire Clay Works (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cairncubie Road

Canmore ID 79283

Site Number NT19SW 33

NGR NT 10643 90283

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79283

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT19SW 33 1063 9023

Little survives of Lilliehill Fireclay Works, which was situated in the Y of a railway junction to the E of Cairncubie Road. The works are depicted as roofed on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Fifeshire, 1896, sheet xxxiv.12) but disused on the subsequent revisions of 1913 and 1938. The only structure now standing on the site is part of a brick-built building (one brick found in situ was stamped J & M Craig Ltd, Lilliehall, Dunfermline). The works lasted from 1873 to the 1920's and the site was cleared (demolished) in the 1970's (Douglas and Oglethorpe 1993).

A quarry to the N has been largely filled in and reclaimed. (Cleish91.147)

Visited by RCAHMS (SH), 6 September 1991.

Activities

Field Visit (7 December 2014)

Nothing is now visible in an area of waste ground between two arable fields of this fire-clay works which is first depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inchmap (Fife and Kinross 1896, Sheet XXXIV.SW). At that time it comprised at least nine roofed buildings. A tramway linked the buildings with the large clay-pit immediately to the N which has been landscaped in part though its NW corner remains open and waterlogged.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 7 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions