Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Lochhead

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Fire Clay Works (19-20th Century)

Site Name Lochhead

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Fire Clay Works (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Patrick's Walls

Canmore ID 79155

Site Number NT09SE 31

NGR NT 0755 9010

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79155

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT09SE 31.00 0755 9010

Much of this former industrial area is now the site of active landfill and landscaping, some of which has already reverted to agriculture. The area is depicted on both the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6-inch maps, (Fife & Kinross, 1856, sheet 35 ; Fifeshire, 1896, sheet xxxii SE), as Lochhead Fireclay Works (NT 077 903), Lochhead Coal Pit (NT 079 904), and the Patrick's Walls complex of cottages (NT 0795 9005) and pits which included Drumtuthill (NT 075 901) and Balmule Pits (NT 078 901). All that now survives is the site of Drumtuthill Pit (Cleish91 73 NT 0755 9010), where one side of a shuttered concrete machinery plinth can be seen. The fireclay works survived until about 1940.

The sidings and headshunt that served the fireclay works and the coal pits have largely been removed by opencast mining. All that survives is a siding on the S side of the public road, which crossed the line at Balmule crossing (NT 0822 9011).

(Cleish91 71-9)

Visited by RCAHMS (SH) 25 September 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions