Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Knock Glass

Broch (Iron Age)

Site Name Knock Glass

Classification Broch (Iron Age)

Alternative Name(s) Knockglass 1

Canmore ID 7909

Site Number ND06SE 18

NGR ND 0547 6358

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7909

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND06SE 18 0547 6358.

(ND 0546 6360) Knock Glass (NR)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

The mound, about 70ft in diameter and 8ft high, which contains the remains of the broch of Knockglass, stands on a knoll, with a terrace between the base of the broch and the edge. The highest elevation of the whole mound is from 16 to 17ft.

RCAHMS 1911.

The grass-covered remains of 'Knock Glass', a probable broch, measure 44.0m in diameter by 4.5m high.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 2 November 1964.

(ND 0547 6358) Knock Glass (NAT) Broch (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

Knock Glass (name verified) is the turf-covered remains of a broch with outworks. It comprises the broch mound itself, 18.5m in diameter and 2.0m high surrounded by a berm and outer scarp, the latter showing signs of walling. On the SE side of the broch are two parallels, curving stretches of wall face of slabs exposed to one course high; they are 2.3m apart and 1.6m and 2.2m long and are interpreted as respectively the outer face of the broch and the inner face of the mural gallery at first floor level.

Visited by OS (N K B) 18 September 1981.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND06 5 KNOCKGLASS 1 ('Knock Glass 1’)

ND/0547 6358

Broch in Halkirk, Caithness, consist-ing of a turf-covered mound 18.5m in diameter and 2m high and standing on a flat-topped knoll [1]; the outer scarp of the mound shows signs of walling. There are suggestions of outer defences and two concentric stretches of curved wallface 2.3m apart, on the south-east and one course high, have been interpreted as parts of the outer face of the broch and of the inner face of the first-floor intra-mural gallery [1].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 06 SE 18: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 35, no. 117.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions