Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alyth Junction Station

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Alyth Junction Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Meigle Station

Canmore ID 78987

Site Number NO24SE 77

NGR NO 29356 42983

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/78987

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Newtyle
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO24SE 77.00 2933 4300

NO24SE 77.01 NO 2927 4300 Alyth Junction, Railway houses

Not to be confused with Meigle Station (formerly Fullarton Station) at NO 28917 44647, for which see NO24SE 87.00.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Alyth Junction Station.

Station probably opened 12/8/1861 with Alyth branch; closed 2/7/1951.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 294 430). Alyth Junction Station, opened c. 1845 by the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Rly. A three-platform through station, with an island platform on the down side, the outer face formerly used by the Alyth branch trains. There is a wooden building with all-round awning on the island platform, and a two-storey stone building on the up platform, with the road entrance at first-floor level.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Perth - Kinnaber Junction ('Strathmore') line of the former Caledonian Railway was also the junction station for that company's branches to Alyth and to Dundee via Newtyle. It was opened (as Meigle Station) by the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Rly on 1 August 1861, and renamed Alyth Junction Station on 1 November 1876. It was grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Rly and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the Strathmore line as a whole) on 4 September 1967.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 August 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions