Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achnasheen Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Achnasheen Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 78686

Site Number NH15NE 5

NGR NH 1641 5853

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/78686

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Contin
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH15NE 5.00 1641 5853

NH15NE 5.01 NH 1642 5855 footbridge

NH15NE 5.02 NH 1644 5857 goods shed

For nearby railway bridge (over River Bran) see NH15NE 4.

For associated hotel (situated on station platform), see NH15NE 6.

(Location cited as NH 163 585). Achnasheen Station, opened 1870 by the Dingwall and Skye Railway. A two-platform through station, with the main offices on the up platform, in a two-storey harled building similar to those at Garve and Strathcarron (NH36SE 2 and NG94SW 7 respectively). Next to the station on the platform is a two-storey and attic rubble station hotel (NH15NE 6). The wooden goods shed and footbridge (NH15NE 5.01 and NH15NE 5.02 respectively) are of standard types.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Dingwall-Kyle of Lochalsh line of the former Highland Rly was opened on 19 August 1870 by the Dingwall and Skye Rly. The hotel (NH15NE 6) was designed by Alexander Ross of Inverness in 1871, and is now in private ownership. The wooden goods shed (NH15NE 5.01) has been demolished but the cast- and wrought-iron footbridge (NH15NE 5.02) still stands and the station remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 June 2001.

B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions