Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Jordanhill, General

General View

Site Name Glasgow, Jordanhill, General

Classification General View

Canmore ID 78617

Site Number NS56NW 113

NGR NS 53 68

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/78617

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Renfrew (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

JORDANHILL

The wide flat lands of Jordanhill belonged to the Crawfords of Kilbirnie in the 15th century. They first built a mansion in 1562. Captain Thomas was a supporter of Lord Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots; winning military successes after Darnley's murder, he became Provost of Glasgow. The family sold the estate to the tobacco merchant and banker Alexander Houston in 1750. His son rebuilt the mansion in 1782 and it was sold on in 1800 to the West Indies merchant and Glasgow Dean of Guild Archibald Smith. Smith altered and extended the house in 1824. The Smith family sold the estate for a Teacher Training College in 1912; the plain mansion survived until at least the 1960s but was subsequently demolished.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56NW 113 5368

The location of the 1858 metal horizontal sundial by Robert Hart illustrated in MS 5741/10/12 and J 2409 CS has not been established. (A Cassells 15 April 2010).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions