Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Loch Swordale

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Loch Swordale

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dun Swordale

Canmore ID 77955

Site Number NB53SW 13

NGR NB 5020 3118

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77955

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB53SW 13 5020 3118

A low stony oval mound, c22m by 16m, and 0.7m high. At present it projects into Loch Swordale from its northern shore. However, the water level in the loch seems to have dropped at least since the early 19th century, its waters at various times serving the Garrabost mill and a sheep wash. An earlier shoreline is clearly visible beyond the existing one, suggesting that the site was originally an island dun. Further stony traces at the NE end of the mound would be compatible with a short causeway. Although the mound is packed with stone rubble in contrast to its surrounding area, no structural evidence is visible.

Three early 19th century copies of a lost 1807-9 estate map of Lewis by James Chapman all mark a 'Dun' at this site, but it was not picked up on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition (1846-53) or subsequently, and there seems to be no local knowledge of the dun.

C M Cunningham 1992.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions