Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carnsalloch House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Carnsalloch House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 77844

Site Number NX98SE 84

NGR NX 97092 80300

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77844

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmahoe
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX98SE 84 97092 80300.

NX98SE 84.01 NX97670 80526 Lodge & Gatepiers

NX98SE 84.02 NX97289 80245 Walled Garden & Cottage

NX98SE 84.03 NX97318 80394 Stables

See Architecture.

For Carnsalloch, The Mount Chapel, see NX98SE 58.

Site Management (15 February 2007)

Palladian mansion house; 2 storeys on raised basement with flanking wings. All red ashlar. The principle entrance is the 3-bay east elevation, to which a central pilastered porch (panelled and studded door in pedimented doorpiece) was added early 19th century. There have been modern additions to north and to south of wings. Dated 1759 on north wing.

Built for Alexander Johnstone of Carnsalloch. He is described in the sasines as a chemist in London, so it may be that a London architect was employed, and perhaps Isaac Ware, whose 1756 publication included design of a "House built for Alexander Johnstone, Esq, in Scotland" (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

From the late 1960s to around the millenium the building was owned by the Leonard Cheshire Foundation. Subsequently it had a brief period as a private school.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions