Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, St Leonard's School, Sixth Form House

No Class (Event)

Site Name St Andrews, St Leonard's School, Sixth Form House

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 77607

Site Number NO51NW 74.05

NGR NO 5146 1654

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77607

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 74.05 5146 1654.

Formerly NO51NW 97

Excavation took place in advance of a new school building close to the medieval pottery and adjacent to the 16th century New Inn and the Abbey Mill Pond (end of 14th century onwards). Early Christian burials had also been found nearby in 1895. Excavation produced a NS gulley, with a stone-paved path beside it on the E side. Along the E side of the path were the collapsed remains of a stone wall. On the W side of the gulley was an alignment of stones, perhaps the base of a fence. These features were undated, but might be related to the Priory Complex, for example the New Inn.

The site was later levelled up, by truncation in the N and dumping in the S, apparently post-medieval. Over the levelled area were the remains of a 19th century smithy. In the south was found a substantial sandstone wall. This may have retained the post-medieval dumped layers or may have been the northern edge of the Abbey Mill Pond. During contractor's excavations on the site, dark silty layers were seen S of the wall, perhaps sediments in the Pond. Also seen in contractor's excavations were stone built drains just north of the wall.

Sponsors: SUAT, St Leonards School, Fife Regional Council, North East Fife District Council, The Russell Trust.

D P Bowler 1990.

Activities

Excavation (1990)

Excavation took place in advance of a new school building close to the medieval pottery and adjacent to the 16th century New Inn and the Abbey Mill Pond (end of 14th century onwards). Early Christian burials had also been found nearby in 1895. Excavation produced a NS gulley, with a stone-paved path beside it on the E side. Along the E side of the path were the collapsed remains of a stone wall. On the W side of the gulley was an alignment of stones, perhaps the base of a fence. These features were undated, but might be related to the Priory Complex, for example the New Inn.

The site was later levelled up, by truncation in the N and dumping in the S, apparently post-medieval. Over the levelled area were the remains of a 19th century smithy. In the south was found a substantial sandstone wall. This may have retained the post-medieval dumped layers or may have been the northern edge of the Abbey Mill Pond. During contractor's excavations on the site, dark silty layers were seen S of the wall, perhaps sediments in the Pond. Also seen in contractor's excavations were stone built drains just north of the wall.

Sponsors: SUAT, St Leonards School, Fife Regional Council, North East Fife District Council, The Russell Trust.

D P Bowler 1990.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions