Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Kilrenny, General

Burgh (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilrenny, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 77562

Site Number NO50SE 57

NGR NO 574 048

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77562

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kilrenny
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SE 57 57 04.

Kilrenny: a burgh of regality chartered in 1578; enrolled (apparently in error) as a royal burgh in 1592, and continued to possess that status.

G S Pryde 1965.

NO 575 048 A programme of topographic survey, geophysical survey and fieldwalking took place in October to examine the possibility that a monastic precinct outer ditch or vallum survived around the village of Kilrenny, as previously proposed (PSAS 1998, 495-514).

The geophysical results have still to be fully analysed, but while there is clearly rig and furrow, old field boundaries and structures which may be of medieval date, there seems to be no unequivocal evidence for a ditch. The fieldwalking produced an assemblage of medieval pottery and later material from a field to the N of the village, at NO 575 050.

A report will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsors: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Russell Trust.

H F James 2000

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1963)

Photographic survey of buildings in Kilrenny, Fife, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in July 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions