Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Floors Castle, Home Farm

Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Saw Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Floors Castle, Home Farm

Classification Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Saw Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Floors Castle Policies

Canmore ID 77434

Site Number NT73SW 5.04

NGR NT 70753 34985

NGR Description Centred NT 70753 34985

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77434

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The Home Farm is a large steading, built in a style similar to the Castle. Among the many features of interest is a large cart-shed with several arches.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73SW 5.04 centred 70753 34985.

This farmstead and sawmill is undergoing survey as part of the Scottish Farm Buildings Survey: Lothian and Merse. Survey information to follow.

Information from RCAHMS (GPS) 24 November 1998.

This large farmstead is situated to the NW of Floors Castle (NT73SW 5.00) and comprises a group of buildings of E-shaped plan, covered cattle courts and various other ranges and detached buildings. At the NE of the site there are ornate kennels and a gamekeeper's cottage whilst at the SW lies the farm manager's house (1875). Elsewhere there are stables with six loose boxes and tack room and loft above, ten cart bays, a dairy byre (1874), a Dutch barn, a horse-engine shed, a barn (with grain dryer and shaft for the drive) and a sawmill and milk parlour. Also of note are ornamental gate piers and a 1964 cattle court. The farmstead was visited in 1997.

Information from RCHAMS (SS), 16 February 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions