Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Pitroddie Farm

Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Pitroddie Farm

Classification Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 77339

Site Number NO22NW 41.01

NGR NO 2148 2520

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77339

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kilspindie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22NW 41.01 2148 2520.

In re-use in the E wall of Pitroddie steading (NO22NW 41.00) there is an inscribed roll-moulded lintel, while in an outbuilding to the S there is a sill-stone (roll-moulded, weathered, checked and drilled for bars). The lintel bears in false relief the date 1591, the inscription LAVS DEO ('Praise be to God'), and the initials AS, with an unidentified shield (on a chevron, between three mullets of six points in chief and a ?cross-fitchee in base, a besant. These arms are not those of the Lindsays of Evelick, who held the barony of Pitroddie in 1665 (Retours).

The fragments may indicate the existence of an unrecorded laird's dwelling, probably a tower-house.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 23 June 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions