Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, South Union Street, Tay Bridge Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, South Union Street, Tay Bridge Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dundee Station

Canmore ID 77204

Site Number NO42NW 83

NGR NO 4016 2974

NGR Description NO 4016 2974 to NO 4035 2991

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/77204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO42NW 83.00 4016 2974 to 4035 2991.

NO42NW 83.01 NO 4029 2975 Railway Goods Shed

NO42NW 83.02 NO 4025 2989 Railway Goods Shed

Not to be confused with Dundee, Esplanade Station (NO32NE 25) at NO 3920 2930, Dundee, East Station (NO43SW 129) at NO 4079 3043 or Dundee, West Station (NO42NW 84.00) at NO 4025 2995.

For Dundee Goods Station, see NO42NW 84.00.

North British Railway.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 403 297). Dundee (Tay Bridge) Station, rebuilt c. 1887 for the North British Rly. A four-platform through and terminal station in a cutting, with an island platform with two bays at the west end. There are 1- and 2-storey platforms, and steel-framed awnings supported on massive cast-iron columns.

J R Hume 1977.

Activities

Watching Brief (4 May 2005 - 15 September 2005)

NO 4018 2990 The City of Dundee Council City Engineer's Department commissioned SUAT to undertake an archaeological watching brief on road and service works for the Dundee Central Waterfront Development. This was undertaken between 4 May and 15 September 2005. The present phase of works was largely confined within fairly recent deposits related to reclamation and demolition, and the insertion of 19th- and 20th-century services. The interesting exception was the junction of Nethergate and Marketgait, where an earlier gravel road surface may survive just 0.5m below the present road.

Report deposited with NMRS [Summarised below].

Sponsor: City of Dundee Council

David Bowler, 2006.

The area affected by these works was part of a much larger area of the Central Waterfront. The works followed Marketgait, from just N of its junction with Nethergate to its termination at the Riverside roundabout, an area consisting largely of open spaces dissected by major roads and junctions, N of Dundee Railway Station and W of Tayside House. The works consisted of re-routing the roads and all associated services, including water, drainage, electricity and gas. A particularly large and deep brick sewer running down the centre of Marketgait received new manholes. A pedestrian over bridge running N from the railway station was removed. A pedestrian underpass under Marketgait just S of Nethergate and E of Meadowside St Paul's Church was also broken out and removed.

The features and layers observed are notes in Appendices 1 and 2 [of the report]. Eighteen different contexts were recorded, which can be divided into seven brief phases.

1. A red silt… and reddish sandy gravel… seen in Nethergate, in the inland part of the site, were probably natural.

2. Adjacent gravel surfaces … may have been early road surfaces.

3. Occasional, localised patches of dark earthy rubble and stones… in the bottom of new services trenches may have been belonged to the original 18th or 19th century reclamation of this area, but no datable artefacts were found. A dark grey silty subsoil… and a stone rubble dump… may also belong to this phase.

4. Some sandstone wall foundations … were seen, perhaps from 19th century industrial buildings or tenements.

5. The most prominent features were the long red brick wall foundations … probably remains of Victorian railway platforms and buildings. Extensive spreads of red brick rubble … were probably 1960's-1970's demolition of railway structures and buildings.

6. The deep rubble dumps seen in Marketgait … were probably the fills of Victorian and modern sewer and pipe trenches, and dumps deposited to level up the gradient of the street in the 1960's-1970's. A long E-W … step in the rubble was perhaps a railway terrace, but more probably a modern (1960's-1970's) landscape feature.

8. Service ducts running along the S kerb of Nethergate were obviously modern, and still in use.

Information from SUAT, 2006

Publication Account (2013)

Built 1887-9, this island platform in a cutting is given some presence by 2-storey brick and stone offices/ waiting rooms (now let as recording

studios for noise-loving musicians) and is linked by iron and glass bridges to Riverside Drive. The 1959 booking hall has been re-clad to no good

effect. It will be rebuilt. The North British Railway used this through station to traverse Dundee via tunnels that skirted the Docks, cast iron beams

now replaced, inverted arched sides to tunnels and cuttings. The rival Caledonian Railway obliged passengers to trek between East and West Stations: a handsome Scots Baronial terminus that was at the foot of Union Street and an arched train shed near Victoria Dock. Both of these are

demolished.

M Watson, 2013

Photographic Survey (September 2017)

Dundee's railway station has been photographed whilst under redevelopment. The twentieth century ticket hall and concourse has been demolished and a six storey replacement incorporating a hotel, office accomodation and cafe by architects Nicoll Russell Studios is under construction. The project forms part of the Dundee City Waterfront masterplan.

Information from HES Survey & Recording (IF) September, 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions