Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Breda

Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Site Name Breda

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Broadhaugh; Breda House Auxiliar Hospital

Canmore ID 76542

Site Number NJ51NW 21

NGR NJ 54879 16678

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76542

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Alford
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Breda, 1894, A Marshall Mackenzie (Mackenzie & Matthews). The rather sawn-off appearance of this baronial edifice derives from the demolition, in 1963, of the original house of Broadhaugh, which lay immediately to the west. Coursed red granite gives gritty texture to front which is dominated by three-storey main block with circular conical-roofed

entrance tower, balanced, just, by diagonally set angle-tower corbelled to square at end of single-storey-and-attic, four-bay wing. Upper windows pedimented above wallhead throughout; all in slightly heavy Scots style.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ51NW 21.00 54879 16678

NJ51NW 21.01 5473 1641 and 5480 1643 Home Farm

NJ51NW 21.02 54885 16103 West Lodge

NJ51NW 21.03 54495 16785 Mausoleum

NJ51NW 21.04 54972 16437 Breda Park Housing Development

For Breda, East Lodge and Gate Piers (NJ 5508 1609), see NJ51NE 145.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

OWNER: N.M. Maclean

ARCHITECT: A. Marshall Mackenzie - additions.

Breda, 1894, A Marshall Mackenzie (Mackenzie and Matthews). The rather sawn-off appearance of this baronial edifice derives from the demolition in 1963 of the original house of Broadhaugh, which lay immediately to the W. Coursed red granite gives a gritty texture to the front which is dominated by the three-storey main block with circular conical-roofed entrance tower, balanced, just, by a diagonally-set angle-tower corbelled to square at the end of a single-storey-and-attic four-bay wing. Upper windows pedimented above wallhead throughout; all in slightly heavy Scots style.

Possible site of manor, castle or mansion. The building is empty at present.

(Air photographs: AAS/96/13/G35/24-5 and AAS/96/13/CT, flown 13 August 1996).

I A G Shepherd 1994; NMRS, MS/712/50.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions