Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ardgour House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Ardgour House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ardgour House Policies; Sallachan

Canmore ID 76455

Site Number NM96SE 4

NGR NM 99545 63836

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76455

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardgour
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Ardgour House (formerly Cùil - back lying), 1765 The former seat of the Macleans of Ardgour, its core a sizeable square-fronted block with dressings of honey coloured stone from Renfrewshire (where Hugh Maclean, for whom it was built, owned Williamswood). Reconstructed by the architect/builder Alexander Squair, 1825-30, following a serious fire, the original three-storey block is now piend-roofed, Doric-porticoed, and clasped between two lower transverse pavilion wings. Inside, panelling, plasterwork and fixtures are all of the 1820s or later, though the original stone stair survives.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM96SE 4 99545 63836

Ardgour House [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, September 2010.

Ardgour House, a small mansion, occupies the site of an earlier residence, established as the principal messuage of the barony of Ardgour by a royal charter of 1542 and commonly known until the 18th century as Cuil or Coull. The present house was built in 1765 and reconstructed after being gutted by fire in 1825.

RCAHMS 1980, vvisited June 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions