Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Maberly Street, Broadford Works, Hackling Building And Sundial

Building (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, Maberly Street, Broadford Works, Hackling Building And Sundial

Classification Building (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Broadford's Flax Mill; Broadford Firehose And Canvas Works

Canmore ID 76204

Site Number NJ90NW 125.01

NGR NJ 93584 06814

NGR Description NJ 93584 06814 and c.NJ 936 068

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 125.01 93584 06814 and c. 936 068

Sundial dated 1692 on its rounded face and the letters 'WI' and 'LS' on its squared side. It was reportedly found at the site of Broadford's Flax Mill during demolition work in the first few years of this century. Much rebuilding work has been done in that area in the years 1901-1912 with a large house and garden being demolished during that period. The sundial is 0.6m high and 0.38m wide, with a c5 sq cm socket in the base.

J A Stones and A S Cameron 1989

Architecture Notes

NJ90NW 125.01 93584 06814 and c. 936 068

Hackling Building the S gable on Maberly Street, completed c.1860, internally rebuilt with arched concrete floor on steel beams about 1900. The dressed flax store at N end was added in 1910.

Site Management (28 July 2008)

L plan ranges of two distintive styles or phases, from the east, parapeted venetianed windowed front to the office court; 12 by 2 bay pilasted building running west. Part of large group of textile manufacturing and storage buildings, granite and brick-clad, of iron-framed or reinforced concrete construction, with setted streets between them. Slate or flat concrete roofs.

The oldest iron-framed mill in Scotland and the fourth oldest known to survive in the world (after others of 1796, 1804 and 1805, all inter- related). The adjoining South Mill may be the third iron framed building in Scotland.

Built for Scott Brown and Co (of Angus), 1808, bankrupt 1811 and sold to Sir John Maberly MP, entrepreneur, speculator and introducer of jute to the UK. Maberley rapidly developed Broadford Works, adopting the first gas lighting of an industrial complex in Scotland, by Boulton and Watt in 1814-15, and Scotland's second power loom linen weaving factory in Scotland in 1824. Maberly was himself bankrupt and in 1834 the works passed to Richards and Co, who had a bleachworks at Rubislaw and branches at Montrose, produced canvas tarpaulins and as a particular specialism, fire hoses. Latterly man- made fibres for carpet yarn etc has replaced flax. Employment peaked at 3,000, once the largest single employer in Aberdeen. (Historic Scotland).

Activities

Standing Building Recording (2 October 2015 - 11 January 2017)

A standing building survey was carried out at the former Broadford Works primarily of buildings to be demolished prior to the conversion of the site to an urban village. Broadford Works was originally constructed by Fenton Murray and Wood of Leeds in 1808 for Scott Brown and Co of Angus, it went bankrupt in 1811 and sold to Sir John Maberly MP, entrepreneur, speculator and introducer of jute to the UK. Maberley rapidly developed Broadford Works, adopting the first gas lighting of an industrial complex in Scotland, by Boulton and Watt in 1814-15, and Scotland's second power loom linen weaving factory in Scotland in 1824. Maberly was himself bankrupt and in 1834 the works passed to Richards and Co, who had a bleachworks at Rubislaw and branches at Montrose and produced canvas tarpaulins and as a particular specialism, fire hoses. In the 1830s the business was taken over by John Baker Richards, a London merchant. Under his ownership and name the company expanded through the 19th century. By the 1880s eight steam engines drove the plant and some 3,000 millhands were employed, once the largest employer in Aberdeen. The company manufactured linen sheeting, towelling sail canvas, tent cloth and hose web.

Information from Oasis (camerona1-275259) 17 February 2017

Standing Building Recording (2 October 2015 - 11 January 2017)

NJ 93609 06881 (NJ90NW 125) A standing building survey was carried out, 2 October 2015 – 11 January 2017, primarily of buildings to be demolished prior to the creation of an urban village. The current condition of the buildings being retained was also recorded.

Broadford Works was originally constructed by Fenton Murray and Wood of Leeds in 1808 for Scott Brown and Co. of Angus. It went bankrupt in 1811 and was sold to Sir John Maberly MP, entrepreneur, speculator and introducer of jute to the UK. Maberly rapidly developed Broadford Works,

adopting the first gas lighting of an industrial complex in Scotland, by Boulton and Watt in 1814–15, and Scotland’s second power loom linen weaving factory in Scotland in 1824. Maberly was himself bankrupt and in 1834 the works passed to Richards and Co., who had a bleachworks at

Rubislaw and branches at Montrose, and produced canvas tarpaulins, and as a particular specialism, fire hoses. In the 1830s the business was taken over by John Baker Richards, a London merchant. Under his ownership and name the company expanded through the 19th century. By the 1880s

eight steam engines drove the plant and some 3000 mill hands were employed. The company manufactured linen sheeting, towelling, sail canvas, tent cloth and hose web. Most of the buildings to be demolished were later additions and all the older mill buildings are being retained.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: First Construction Ltd

Alison Cameron - Cameron Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 18)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions