Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, 12 St Martin's Lane

No Class (Event)

Site Name Aberdeen, 12 St Martin's Lane

Classification No Class (Event)

Alternative Name(s) E19; Harris Removal's; Carmelite Friary

Canmore ID 76174

Site Number NJ90NW 239

NGR NJ 9411 0607

NGR Description NJ 9411 0607 and NJ 9411 0606

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

C14 Radiocarbon Dating

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76174

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 239 9411 0607 and 9411 0606

Trenches at NJ 9411 0607 and NJ 9411 0606.

NMRS, MS/658/1.

(Location cited as NJ 941 060). 12 St Martins Lane. Medieval deposits, including the footings of a substantial wall, were revealed during trial excavations by J Stones in 1980; the deposit was 0.9m thick and the wall was 0.7m wide. A large quantity of glass fragments was recovered and three buildings were traced; these were believed to be the remains of the Carmelite Friary (NJ90NW 49) founded c. 1270.

(Location of finds not stated).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

The excavation archive from 12, St Martin's Lane has been catalogued. It consists of manuscripts, drawings and photographic material.

Historic Scotland Archive Project (FO) 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions