Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Aberdeen, Castle Street, The Green Fountain

Fountain (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, Castle Street, The Green Fountain

Classification Fountain (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Aberdeen, The Green, Drinking Fountain; Castlegate; 'the Mannie'; Well O' Spa

Canmore ID 76173

Site Number NJ90NW 232

NGR NJ 94404 06316

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76173

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 232 94404 06316

(Location cited as NJ 9441 0632). Fountain. Built 1710 by William Lindsay, overseer of Aberdeen's water supply. Taken down in 1841 when the Market Cross (NJ90NW 23) was moved further E. Erected at the Well o' Spa in 1850 and re-erected on the Castlegate in the 1960's or 1970's. (Formerly scheduled: descheduled 1981).

[Newspaper reference cited].

NMRS, MS/712/83.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Fountain in the Green.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Aberdeen Public Library, Reference Department:

G. M. Fraser, The Green And Its Story.

Old Landmarks of Aberdeen.

Aberdeen in Bygone Days.

Photographs.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions