Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gordon, Eden Road, East Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Gordon, Eden Road, East Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) United Free Church; Old East End Church

Canmore ID 75991

Site Number NT64SW 51

NGR NT 64780 43130

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75991

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Gordon
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

The East Church, also known as Gordon United Free Church, occupies a prominent position at the east side of Gordon village on the road to Greenlaw. The church was built in 1843 following the Disruption in the Church of Scotland. This building was simply designed, being rectangular on plan with three arched windows on the long wall.

In 1893, a two-storeyed porch and belfry were added to the east end of the church. These were designed to have a medieval character, with crowstepped gables used on the porch, and the wrought-iron porch gates have the character of a yett, a defensive feature found in medieval castles and tower-houses. Both the porch and belfry were built in pink sandstone that contrasts with the whinstone used in the main body of the church. Rising above the porch is a circular bell-tower with a 'pepper-pot' roof. At one time, the bell-tower featured a four-sided clock which was visible throughout the village.

In 1986 the church building was sold, and many of its original fittings gifted to the congregation of the Church of Scotland at St Michael's. The building was converted into a private residence in 1994.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT64SW 51 64780 43130

For parish church (at NT 6449 4318), see NT64SW 32.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Stevenson, Berwick - additions, 1893

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions