Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Langwell

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Langwell

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Alternative Name(s) Langwell Water; Langwell House; Berriedale

Canmore ID 7552

Site Number ND02SE 5

NGR ND 0915 2223

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7552

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND02SE 5 0915 2223

(ND 0915 2223) Chambered Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map, (1964).

On the top of the S bank of the Langwell Water, and by the edge of a burn which flows into that river near the road bridge 1 1/2 miles above Langwell House, are the remains of a chambered cairn. Much of the stone which formed the cairn has been removed and the chambers for the most part demolished. It appears to have measured some 78ft E-W by 63ft transversely. There appear to have been two separate chambers along the line of the main axis. Some 1ft 6ins in from the E edge are two upright stones 2ft 8ins apart, that on the N broken off at ground level, while that along- side stands to a height of 2ft 8ins: 4ft 8ins behind them are another similar pair, 2ft 4ins apart, apparently marking the entrance to an inner chamber, the sides and back of which have been removed. At 10ft inwards from the outer edge of the cairn on the W stands a large slab some 3ft 2ins in breadth and 2ft in height, set at right angles to the direction of the passage. To the E or rear of it, 11ft 6ins away, a pair of slabs protrude from the ruins, 2ft 8ins apart; directly behind them them, a large slab 5ft in breadth is visible for a height of some 1ft 2ins, marking the back of this chamber. The side walls are not now visible.

RCAHMS 1911.

Generally as described above.

Visited by OS (W D J) 15 June 1960.

Generally as described by the RCAHMS (1911).

A S Henshall 1963.

No change to the previous reports.

Visited by OS (J B) 2 September 1982

This chambered cairn was visited by Headland Archaeology in the course of a pre-afforestation survey (NMRS MS 899/15, no.16). The condition of the monument is unchanged.

C Moloney and L Baker (Headland Archaeology) 13 July 1998; NMRS MS 899/93, no.16

Site recorded during a survey undertaken of c.2 sq km of land either side of the Langwell Water, by Berriedale.

ND 0915 2223

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

C Moloney and L Baker 1998.

Scheduled as Berriedale, chambered cairn.

Information fron Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 1 March 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions