Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Tulloch Turnal

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Tulloch Turnal

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Langwell House

Canmore ID 7551

Site Number ND02SE 4

NGR ND 0904 2286

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7551

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND02SE 4 0904 2286.

(ND 0904 2286) Tulloch Turnal (NAT) Broch (NR)

OS 6"map, (1964)

Broch, 'Tulloch Turnal': About 2 miles W of Langwell House, on the S side of the road to Wag, are the ruins of a large circular constuction, probably a broch. It is much dilapidated and the stones of which it was built have been mostly removed. The over all diameter is some 48 to 50ft; only the two lowest courses of large stones are visible in places and no features of interest are apparent.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

As described above: the mutilated remains of a broch. The outer facing wall, 15.5m in diameter, is still traceable, but the inner is not. There are indications of a ditch on the E side between the road and the embankment, but not on the W side. Adjacent to the broch are the footings of a depopulated settlement (see ND02SE 36).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 June 1960

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (JB) 2 September 1982

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND02 2 TULLOCH TURNAL ('Lang-well House 1') ND/0904 2286

A probable broch in Latheron, Caithness, consisting of a robbed heap of stone the features of which suggest a large, circular construction 14.64-15.25m (48-50ft) in diameter [2]. More recently traces of the outer wallface were seen in places, indicating a diameter of 15.5m [1]. There are signs of a ditch on the east side.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 02 SE 4: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 134, no. 386: 3. Batey 2002, 187.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions