Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newton House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Newton House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Newton Of Ardgy

Canmore ID 75406

Site Number NJ16SE 27

NGR NJ 16288 63466

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75406

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Alves
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NJ16SE 27.00 16288 63466

NJ16SE 27.01 16255 63503 Walled Garden

NJ16SE 27.02 16392 63417 Gatepiers

NJ16SE 27.03 16243 63426 Stables

NJ16SE 27.04 16273 63364 West Lodge/Cottage

Site Management (25 February 1992)

Tall 2-storey and attic house over raised basement (3-storey, U-plan rear), 5-bays, S facing. Harled with tooled and polished ashlar margins and dressings. Plain late 18th century house with 1852 embellishments, particularly to upper storey. Advanced and gabled centre bay with 1852

porch approached by flight of steps oversailing raised basement; pilastered and corniced entrance with florid Jacobean detailing, lunette and banded obelisk finials; tall canted 1st floor window above. Plain chamfered margins to ground and 1st floor windows; carved and monogrammed pediments to 1852 dormers; corbelled angle bartizans with conical bellcast fishscale slated roofs; moulded corbel and string courses; decorative water spouts. Projecting wing set back at E with raised ground floor canted oriel with corbelled base decorated with masks and with corbelled stone roof. 2 rear wings project to form U-plan service court.

Mainly 4-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables; end batteries of coped stacks with diamond flues; slate roofs. Small sun porch (circa 1975) at W of house.

Newton House built by George Forteath in 1793; it passed to his nephew Alexander Williamson (who took the name of Forteath) in 1815. Alexander Forteath was factor for the Trustees of the Earl of Fife's estates and took an active role in the public life of Moray. The property remained in the Forteath family until the 1930s. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions