Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Largs, Main Street, The Moorings

Restaurant (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Largs, Main Street, The Moorings

Classification Restaurant (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Fort Street; Bath Street; Proposed Cinema; Ice Cream Factory; Lugano Restaurant; Castleson's; Castelsons

Canmore ID 75357

Site Number NS25NW 39

NGR NS 20139 59425

NGR Description Centred on NS 20139 59425

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75357

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Largs
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Treasured Places

In 1936 The Moorings café and restaurant opened on the seafront at Largs. It incorporated its own ice-cream factory and bakery, and housed a ballroom with a capacity of 1000 people. The building had a distinctive nautical design, in keeping with its location: porthole windows, a third-floor 'sundeck' and a cut-away corner echoing the prow of a ship.

Permission was granted for the demolition of the building in 1989 after flooding had damaged its steel frame.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 27 July 2007

Cameron, N 1989

McKean, C 1987

Architecture Notes

NS25NW 39 20139 59425

For replacement housing and retail development of the same name see NS25NW 242.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Note: area of premises to SOUTH (see following) is parallel to Main Street, with short face to Fort Street, at back of Moorings. It is referred to later in 1963 plans as the 'Lugano' bar and in original proposals of 1935 forms part of the 'property bellonging to the trustees of the late John Watson....' (see DC 12515).

LARGS, THE MOORINGS DRAWINGS COLLECTION

A large collection of designs for 'The Moorings', Largs by James Houston and others 1935-1973 including: designs for development of site by A Procuranti, Pistoia c. 1929; designs by James Houston 1935 and many designs for alterations, interior decorations etc.

Presented by J. B. J. Houston 1989

Activities

Design (1 January 1930 - 31 December 1940)

Construction (1 January 1930 - 31 December 1936)

1930-1936

Photographic Record (1 January 1930 - 31 December 1936)

Modification (1 January 1949 - 31 December 1949)

Modification (1 January 1950 - 31 December 1952)

Modification (1 January 1955 - 31 December 1958)

Modification (1 January 1960 - 31 December 1968)

Modification (1 January 1972 - 31 December 1973)

Modification (1978)

Photographic Survey (17 May 1989)

Photographic Record (11 January 1991)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions