Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Wagmore Rigg

Aisled Roundhouse(S) (Iron Age)

Site Name Wagmore Rigg

Classification Aisled Roundhouse(S) (Iron Age)

Canmore ID 7511

Site Number ND02NW 1

NGR ND 0030 2614

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7511

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND02NW 1 0030 2614.

(ND 0030 2614) Wheel-houses (NR)

OS 6"map, (1963).

At the E end of Wagmore Rigg, some 3/4 mile W of the houses at Wag and occupying the summit of a slight elevation are the ruins of a circular galleried structure consisting of two conjoined circles lying N and S of each other with separate entrances. The southernmost circle is enclosed by a wall of large stones, now some 2ft in height and 4ft 4ins in thickness, which on the outside appears to have been banked up with soil. The entrance is from E by S through a passage 6ft in length, 2ft 6ins in width at the exterior and 3ft 10ins at the inner end. At 4ft from the outside a rebate of some 9ins on either side forms checks for a door. Internally, the circle has a diameter of 29ft. At 3ft inwards from the face of the wall occur, at intervals of from 6 to 8ft, upright stones, standing to a height of some 3ft above the present level, set edge on to the centre of the circle. Reaching from the wall to these upright pillars have been placed large slabs some 6ft in length, 2ft 3ins greatest breadth, and some 7ins in thickness. Three of these slabs still remain in situ, and many others lie displaced within the enclosure. The diameter of the area between opposite pillars is 17ft. The other (N) circle has been similar but measures only 19 to 20ft in internal diameter; most of the slabs have been removed from it, but enough remain to show that the plan has been the same. The diameter between opposite pillar is about 13ft. The entrance has also been from E by S. In front of the entrance are foundations of other, probably secondary, structures.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

The remains of these two aisled-houses are as described by the RCAHMS. A course of stones outlines a rectangular feature measuring 4.8 by 2.7m, lying close to the larger aisled-house on its S segment. A considerable amount of stone lies on the S slopes of the small mound on which the houses are situated, but nothing could be deduced from them. Another course of stones enclosed the entrances to the houses on the SE.

Visited by OS(WDJ) 9 June 1960.

A homestead comprising two conjoined aisled round-houses or 'wags' - not wheelhouses - apparently unchanged since the visit by the RCAHMS. The SW house is particularly well-preserved, but only the NW arc of the other is exposed, the remainder having been buried under tumble which extends down a slope to the SE. It is not clear from surface inspection whether the plan of the NE dwelling was circular or subrectangular. The rectangular feature to the SW of the complex noted by OS surveyor (WDJ) is constructed of a single line of stones now partially disarranged and turf-covered; the mode of construction is dissimilar to the homestead and is probably a secondary structure. The course of stones which encloses the entrances to the houses on the SE, as described by OS surveyor (WDJ), is also probably secondary.

Visited by OS (NKB) 25 October 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions