Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Glenfinnan, Glenfinnan Station

Museum (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glenfinnan, Glenfinnan Station

Classification Museum (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glenfinnan Station Museum; Glenfinnan For Loch Shiel Station; Glenfinnan Railway Station, Ticket Office And Waiting Room; Gleann Fhionnainn

Canmore ID 74593

Site Number NM88SE 1

NGR NM 89872 80974

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74593

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Glenfinnan Station, 1901 Good example of the West Highland Railway's Swiss chalet style station buildings, built of reinforced concrete and attributed to James Miller. Those on the Mallaig extension were slightly simpler versions of the prototype, foregoing shingle cladding but still with generous glazing undulating along the platform elevation and on the flanking screen walls, which support deep oversailing eaves. Recently restored as a small railway museum.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM88SE 1 89872 80974

Station [NAT]

Mus (NAT]

Tank [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

For Glenfinnan Viaduct (NM 90992 81343), see NM98SW 2.

Opened 1.4.1901 (WHR).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NM 899 810). Glenfinnan Station, opened 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly. A two-platform through station. The down-platform building is a single-storey, reinforced-concrete structure with bow windows facing the platform. The roof is large enough to form an awning, to which glazed side screens have been added. There is a small wooden shelter on the up platform. Other stations on the extension, such as Banavie (NN17NW 20) and Locheilside (NM97NE 1), have similar main buildings.

J R Hume 1977.

Station cottage opened as museum, 22 May 1991.

NMRS, B/83230/NC.

(Name cited as Glenfinnan for Loch Shiel Station). This intermediate station on the Fort William (Mallaig Junction) - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland Extension') of the former North British Rly was opened on 1 April 1901. It remains in regular passenger use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 August 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

A RCAHMS photographic survey of Glenfinnan Railway Station was undertaken, during May 1999, in order to enhance and augment the National Monuments Record Scotland holdings.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), July 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions