Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Buccleuch Street, Archers' Hall

Clubhouse (18th Century), Hall (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Buccleuch Street, Archers' Hall

Classification Clubhouse (18th Century), Hall (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Boroughloch Lane; Meadow Lane; Royal Company Of Archers

Canmore ID 74052

Site Number NT27SE 511

NGR NT 26111 72757

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74052

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 511 26111 72757

Archers' Hall [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, September 2010.

NT27SE 511.01 NT 26082 72705 Lodge

NT27SE 511.02 NT 26065 72715 Archery Butts

ARCHITECT: Right half by Alexander Laing 1776-7, left half by A.F. Balfour Paul 1900.

Interior entrance hall and staircase: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson.

REFERENCE: ARCHER'S HALL, WORKSHOPS

Plans

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh Additions and alterations

Attic 2 , Bin 23 , Bag 2 Peddie & Kinnear 1875

ARCHER'S HALL

Plans

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh Restoration of railings

Bin 14 , Bag 3 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson 1952

REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new

Bin 28, Bag 1

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts

Bin 29, Bag 2 Dick Peddie & McKay 1966

REFERENCE: Held in the National Library:

S.M.T. Magazine, October 1951, Page 16

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1963)

Photographic survey of buildings in the south of Edinburgh in 1963 by the Scottish National Buildings Record.

Design (September 2008)

LDN Architects planning proposal for the redevelopment of Archers Hall and the construction of student accommodation. Edinburgh City Council planning application 08/03150/LBC.

Excavation (8 December 2009 - 9 December 2009)

Headland Archaeology was commissioned by Bowmen Ltd. to undertake a programme of archaeological works required as a condition of approval of Planning Ref. 08/03150/FUL (and related application 08/03150/LBC) for Archers’ Hall and related buildings within its curtilage. The works comprised an initial desk-based assessment and a Level 2 (English Heritage 2006) historic building survey of the extant buildings and boundary walls.

The desk-based assessment determined that development of the site can be roughly assigned to three phases from 1776 through the late 20th century. Although the site plan, which dates from the mid-19th century and possibly earlier has remained largely intact, the buildings within the Archers’ Hall grounds have been modified a number of times during the 19th and 20th centuries. The earliest features on the site include parts of the Hall, the boundary walls, the original phase of the Bowling Green and a lean-to against the west boundary wall.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions