Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Sandport Street, Dry Dock

Dry Dock (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Sandport Street, Dry Dock

Classification Dry Dock (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Water Of Leith; Edinburgh, Leith Docks; Leith Harbour; Glasshouse Quay

Canmore ID 73753

Site Number NT27NE 121

NGR NT 26987 76512

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/73753

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 121 26987 76512

Location formerly cited as NT 2699 7650.

See also NT27NE 57.00 and NT27NE 1566.

Not to be confused with dry dock built by Robert Dryburgh in 1774 (NT c. 268 764), for which see NT27NE 1568.

This monument consists of the buried fabric of a masonry dry dock, with associated working areas and quay walls. It is situated on the west bank of the Water of Leith, and only the cope-stones are currently exposed.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 4 May 1993.

This dry dock, the first in Leith, was built by John Sime and his son in their yard next to Glasshouse Quay. It is dated to 1771.

[Original petition cited].

S Mowat [1994].

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions