Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balvorist

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 73571

Site Number NN60NE 23

NGR NN 6729 0702

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Kilmadock
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NE 23 6729 0702.

This farmstead comprises three buildings and a yard set on a slight terrace to the S of an unnamed burn and is named on Roy's map (Roy 1747- 55). Stobie (SRO RHP 14317, 1782) depicts two buildings under the name of Easter Balvorist. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire, 1866, sheet cxxiv) shows two roofed buildings under the name of Balvorist.

The northernmost building (BOD 6) measures 42.3m from E to W by 4.6m transversely within mortared rubble walls 0.6m in thickness and up to 2m in height. It has five compartments, all of which have at least one entrance on the S. The easternmost compartment has blocked slit windows and two entrances, and may have been a byre. The second compartment from the W end has fire-places in either end, three cruck-slots visible running down within the thickness of the wall, and a door with a dressed surround of two parallel ribs. The building has had a pantile roof, at least at the E end, where the gable stands to a height of 4m. There is an enclosure defined by a ruined drystone wall to the W. The N end of easternmost building (BOD 7) has been removed, what remains measures at least 11.6m from N to S by 5m transversely within mortared rubble walls 0.6m in thickness and 3m in height. There is an entrance in the W side, a small blocked window in the E wall and a window set high up in the S end, possibly opening out off an upper floor. A further building (BOD 8) is butted on to the W side of this building. It measures 11.5m from E to W by 5m transversely within a mortared rubble wall 0.6m in thickness and 0.7m in height. It has two compartments and an entrance in the N side.

(BOD 92-95)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 April 1992.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions