Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Reay

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Reay

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 7339

Site Number NC96SE 2

NGR NC 9733 6499

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7339

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Reay
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

NC96SE 2 9733 6499.

(A: NC 9732 6504 B: NC 9733 6503 C: NC 9731 6499 D: NC 9735 6497 E: NC 9736 6502 F: NC 9733 6497).

Standing Stones (NR) (twice)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

'Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)': When surveyed in 1872 there were seven stones shown: A: NC 9732 6504 B: NC 9733 6503 C: NC 9730 6500 D: NC 9735 6497 E: NC 9736 6502 F; NC 9733 6497 and G: NC 9735 6503.

By 1907, A, B, D, E and F were still in situ; G had disappeared, and C had, one must assume, been removed from the roadside, which has been widened, into the field on the S.

Despite the published name, the remains are noted as 'Supposed Stone Circle' and described as being several large stones uncovered by drifting sand 'not many years since; some are still embedded in the sand, others knocked over and broken, and others removed for use in building dykes.' The principal stone's dimensions are given as 'height over 5ft, breadth 2 1/2ft, and thicknes about 1 3/4ft.' It, with three other stones of unknown sizes, but 'almost covered with sand' were sketched in 1872 (Name Book 1872).

OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1872); Name Book 1872.

Of these stones none can now be related to the examples given in the original sketch, and the principal stone evidenced above must be assumed to be destroyed.

'A' is a large boulder 1.2m by 0.5m by 1.2m high; it is still in situ at NC 9732 6504.

'B', 1.3m by 0.7m by 0.5m high, now recumbent and presumably moved to NC 9730 6502 from NC 9733 6503, is of white granite.

'C', now recumbent, remains in its 1907 position at NC 9731 6499, and measures 1.6m by 0.9m by 0.6m high.

'D', erect though leaning to the W, is 2.0m by 1.3m by 0.8m high; it remains in situ at NC 9735 6497.

Stones 'E' and 'F' have been removed without trace. No information could be obtained concerning them or the survivors. It is doubtful that, even as originally surveyed, they formed a stone circle or any part of one. Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 25 November 1964.

(A: NC 9732 6504 B: NC 9730 6502) Standing Stones (NR), (D: NC 9734 6497) Standing Stone (NR), (E: NC 9736 6502 F: NC 9733 6503) Standing Stones (NR) (site of)

OS 25" map, (1966)

There are four stones remaining (A-D), as described by OS field surveyor (N K B) 25 November 1964; stone C lies displaced at NC 9731 6500. A is in situ and B and D are slightly displaced; the distance between A and D is 74.0m, and, assuming they are diametrically opposed, B (displaced) and E (site only) are roughly on the diameter of a circle with A and D. The circle is centred at NC 9733 6501, now occupied by the public road. Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 16 November 1981.

NC 9735 6497 A watching brief was carried out in September 2006 on ground-breaking work associated with the erection of a house adjacent to the site of a stone circle. This monument is now reduced to one stone in situ, the rest having been removed through the 19th and 20th centuries during road widening and field improvement. No archaeological features or deposits were revealed.

Sponsor: Mr M Alexander.

Catherine Dagg, 2006.

Activities

Watching Brief (September 2006)

NC 9735 6497 A watching brief was carried out in September 2006 on ground-breaking work associated with the erection of a house adjacent to the site of a stone circle. This monument is now reduced to one stone in situ, the rest having been removed through the 19th and 20th centuries during road widening and field improvement. No archaeological features or deposits were revealed.

Sponsor: Mr M Alexander.

C Dagg 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions