Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lothmore, Loth Parish Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Lothmore, Loth Parish Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 7100

Site Number NC91SE 2

NGR NC 97093 11380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7100

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Loth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91SE 2.00 97093 11380

NC91SE 2.01 97101 11294 Burial Ground

NC91SE 2.02 97109 11316 Watch House

(NC 9708 1138) The church of Loth, apparently dedicated to St Carden, has always stood on the present site (OPS 1855). Although burnt by the MacKays in 1556 it was soon rebuilt and between 1626 and 1627 was repaired (Gordon 1813).

The parish church is a new church in a complete state of repair (NSA 1845).

R Gordon 1813; New Statistical Account (NSA, written by Rev G S Taylor - 1841) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; J Mackay 1894.

No further information was found regarding this church. The present church is dated 1830.

Visited by OS (W D J) 27 May 1960.

Site Management (14 June 1996)

Modelled on Kintore Church by Archibald Simpson, Aberdeen. Gothic; rectangular; coursed stugged ashlar, tooled ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. Wide advanced centre bay at west gable, with hoodmoulded centre entrance and dated plaque above; centre hoodmoulded gallery window with simple Perpendicular tracery; diagonal

buttresses terminating with crocketted pinnacles with stiff leaf finials; similarly detailed apex bell-cote.

Church no long in ecclesiastical use. Former church site and old Burial Ground just below present church; modern burial ground to east. Helmsdale and Navidale in Loth Parish until transferred to Kildonan Parish in 1841. Plaque over door reads; IMPENSIS NOBILISSIN GEORGII GRANVILLII

LEVESON GOWER STAFFORDIENSIS COMITATUS MARCHIONI ET NOBILISSIME ELIZABETHAE SUTHERLAND EUJUSDE COMTATU MARCHIONE-SSAE SUTHERLANDIAE COMITISSAE. ANNO MDCCCXXII Loth church copy Kintore Church, Aberdeenshire; Archibald Simpson, 1819, as directed by Countess of Sutherland. "The kirk at loth is well up. It is taken as your Ladyship directed, from the one at Mintore". (letter from James Loch

to Countess. 12 Aug. 1821.) Built at cost of $1,504.2s.3d. "A modern, handsome and commodious edifice" (c.1858). (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions