Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strone Rungie, Culgower

Battle Site (Period Unassigned), Long Cist(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name Strone Rungie, Culgower

Classification Battle Site (Period Unassigned), Long Cist(S) (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 7089

Site Number NC91SE 1

NGR NC 981 114

NGR Description Centred NC 981 114

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7089

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Loth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91SE 1 centred 981 114

(Centred; NC 981 114) Site of the Conflict Of Strone Rungie (NR) (between the men of Sutherland and Caithness).

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1909)

On the shore at Strone-Rungie, between Culgower and West Garty, a number of cairns were exposed under wind-shifted sand about 1762, some of which, together with bones, were still to be seen about 1840. There is a tradition that a battle took place hereabouts, said by some (NSA 1845; Mackay 1894) to have been between the natives and the Norse invaders; and by others (OSA 1793; ONB 1871) between the Sutherland and Caithness men.

In the construction of the railway in 1870 near the headland, Sron Rubha na Gaoithe (Stron-Rungie), two skeletons were found lying side by side, with flag stones at head and feet, indicating them to be those of very tall men,the skulls long and finely shaped and bones long and massive, the teeth perfect.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1793; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) 1871; J Mackay 1894.

The E end of the area is covered with grass covered mounds which appear to be only sand-dunes. No evidence of 'cairns' was noted.

Visited by OS (W D J). 27 May 1960.

No change since report of 27 May 1960.

Visited by OS (J B), 2 April 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions