Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drumtochty Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drumtochty Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Drumtochty Castle Estate; Drumtochty Castle Policies; Woodstock

Canmore ID 70779

Site Number NO68SE 1

NGR NO 69984 80047

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/70779

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fordoun
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO68SE 1.00 69984 80047

NO68SE 1.01 6940 8003 Old Castle

See also:

NO67NE 25.00 69750 79933 Stables

NO67NE 25.01 6971 7981 West Lodge

NO77NW 37 71376 79645 East Lodge

NO78SW 21 7105 8131 Mains of Drumtochty

A large, two-storyed castellated mansion, by James Gillespie Graham c.1810-12; large additions 1815-16, with John Smith of Aberdeen as builder. Further alterations probably also by Graham, 1839. It incorporates the old house of Woodstock.

Extensively rehabilitated after use as a prep school, Jenkins and Marr, 1974-5.

SDD/HBM List.

This castle is now a prep school. It incorporates as its W wing the house of Woodstock, for which the title deeds date back to 1755. There is no evidence nor local knowledge of an earlier building.

Visited by OS (NKB) 10 December 1969.

Drumtochty castle and associated buildings were photographed from the air on 30 January 1979; air photograph AAS/97/03/G5/14 and GRC/AAS site number NO78SW 20 refer.

Information from Aberdeenshire Archaeological Service, February 1997.

NMRS, MS/712/15.

Architecture Notes

NO68SE 1.00 69984 80047

NMRS REFERENCE:

Drumtochty Castle.

Architect: James Gillespie Graham c.1813.

Stairwell and ceiling demolished after 1945.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Drumtochty Castle.

Scottish Record Office.

Completion of Drumtochty Castle.

Letter from Lady Mary Lindsay Crawford to Hugh Hamilton of Pinmore (George) Harley Drummond and Meg Munrow have admired a drawing of Crawford Priory and have prevailed on Mr. Gillespie (James Gillespie Graham, Architect, 1776-1855) to finish their house 'on the the outside like the Priory'.

4.1.1813. GD142/10/184-185x

(Hamilton of Pinmore).

Proposed repairs to the Castle and offices.

Letters to the Hon. Walter Forbes of Brux.

They concern Capt. Gemmell's intention of having the work carried out.

1839. GD 52/367.

Activities

Project (1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016)

Survey work undertaken to upgrade records of listed buildings by area.

Project (1 January 2015 - 31 December 2015)

Survey work carried out on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions