Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allt Cille Pheadair

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Allt Cille Pheadair

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Kilphedir

Canmore ID 7004

Site Number NC91NE 30

NGR NC 992 198

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91NE 30 992 198

See also NC91NE 7.

(NC 992 198) (Three) Enclosures (NR)

OS 6" map, (1964)

On the E side of the Cille Pheadair burn, about 1 mile N of its junction with the Helmsdale River, is a group of three contiguous enclosures, two of which appear to have been cattle or sheep folds. A horn projects on the W side of the entrance to the most easterly one. An opening has been broken through the banks of this and the northerly enclosure, apparently at a later date. Near the three enclosures are a dozen or so small mounds. Some 30 yards N, on the end of a slight knoll, is a cup-shaped hollow, with an opening to the S, 10' in diameter and apparently lined with stones. Some 30 yards S is a circular enclosure with traces of an inner compartment.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

The three contiguous enclosures comprise a hut circle (A) an enclosure (B), and a semi-enclosed area. In the interior of the hut are traces of two small compartments. Some 40.0m W of hut A is another hut circle (C) that is almost certainly the last enclosure noted by the RCAHMS. The cup-shaped hollow could not be identified. The mounds are probably field clearance heaps.

Visited by OS (W D J) 20 May 1960.

There are three stone-walled houses (A-C) in association with a field system. The situation is rising moorland open to the S. The huts are reduced and heather-covered but seem broadly similar.

'A' is 9.0m diameter inside a wall of main width 2.0m broadening to 3.0m at an obscure entrance from the SSE. The ground to the rear of the hut is partially enclosed on the N and E sides, by a low scarp scooped from the ascending slope and joining to the NE arc of the hut.

'B' is 9.5m diameter internally. The wall has a general spread of 3.0m that increases to 4.5m at a clubbed entrance, 3.0m wide, from the S. A form of forecourt precedes the entrance, evidenced by a seemingly built-up and levelled crescentic area 4.5m by 3.0m, partially enclosed on the S and W sides, by a low curving bank that connects in the W of the entrance.

'C' is 9.0m inside diameter. The wall, at a choked entrance, from the SSE, is spread to 3.5m but in the NNW has been broken through, and elsewhere is vague.

The alleged traces of inner compartments in huts A and C are too tenuous to be conclusive. In the slope some 90.0m N of hut C is a low depresion, Approximately 3.5m diameter, inside a vaguely suggested bank. No stone is apparent. This may be the cup-shaped hollow referred to but it seems natural or at best a surface quarry.

The field system occupying four hectares, is best distinguished by a stone-free close-cropped appearance marked with scattered field clearance heaps, except to the N of hut B where there is an appreciable concentration. There are occasional substantial lynchets, and in the vicinity of the huts, indecisive signs of a pattern of field banks. Re-urveyed at 1:10,560.

Visited by OS (J M) 1 July 1976.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions