Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh Airport

Airport (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh Airport

Classification Airport (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Turnhouse Airfield

Canmore ID 70028

Site Number NT17SE 69

NGR NT 1579 7362

NGR Description Centred NT 1579 7362

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/70028

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17SE 69.00 centred 1579 7362

NT17SE 69.01 NT 14892 73334 falls on map sheet Control Tower (new)

For military airfield see NT17SE 70.

For predecessor, Turnhouse Airport Terminal Building, see NT17SE 346.

The British Airports Authority assumed control in 1971 and rectified Turnhouse's major shortcoming; the main runway, which had been laid during the war with more regard for fitting it in to the existing perimeter than the direction of the prevailing wind. An entirely new runway was built just to the NW of the airport and a new terminal constructed at the same time, giving Edinburgh an airport of equal standing to Glasgow.

D J Smith 1983

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (4 August 2004)

A full-size Spitfire aircraft is mounted on a pyramidal pedestal to give the illusion of flight. Below the cockpit on the body of the plane is the circular RAF symbol, a section of a flag is on the tail.

The replica Second World War Spitfire was originally sited at the entrance to Edinburgh Airport. On 6 October 2003 it was taken away to allow work to begin on the new control tower. The Spitfire was restored and placed near the new tower.

The Spitfire marks Edinburgh Airport's role as home to 603 squadron during World War 2.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1516)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions