Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Raasay, Inverarish, Miners' Housing

Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned), Prisoner Of War Camp (First World War)

Site Name Raasay, Inverarish, Miners' Housing

Classification Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned), Prisoner Of War Camp (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Inverarish Mine

Canmore ID 69917

Site Number NG53NE 10

NGR NG 55556 35716

NGR Description Centred NG 55556 35716

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online


Raasay's main village, comprising largely of dwellings built to house the mine workers by James G. Falconer, 1912 -15. These include: Inverarish Terrace, two parallel terraces of mineworkers' cottages (many now altered) - two blocks in brick, two in stone, facing each other across a former drying green. Inverarish Cottages, similar but slightly larger, a pretty terrace with bracketted eaves, piended dormer heads and gabled porches, built for the formen a suitable distance up the hill.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NG53NE 10 centred 55556 35716

See also NG53NE 8, NG53NE 9, NG53NE 13, NG53NE 14, NG53NE 16 and NG53SE 3 and NG53SE 7.

Rows of 32 terraced houses which were used to accomodate about 280 German prisoners-of-war. They were employed on the Iron Mine site and used for various tasks including on the railway, kilns and at the pier.

The houses were originally built to house Baird's Mine workers.

Information from Defence of Britain Project form (P & L Draper), 1996.


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions