Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kintradwell House

House (19th Century)

Site Name Kintradwell House

Classification House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kintradwell House Policies

Canmore ID 6967

Site Number NC90NW 8

NGR NC 92003 07719

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6967

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Loth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC90NW 8 92003 07719

Location formerly entered as NC 9199 0770.

Kintradwell (NC 9199 0770) one of the oldest manor-houses in Sutherland, occupies a commanding position on a natural terrace. It is known among Celtic natives of the district as Cuin Trolla, Cill-Trolla and Clen-Trolla - Trolla's height or headland - and was probably so named from St Trolla or Trollhaena, known in the Calender as St Triduana and St Tredwell.

J M Joass 1873.

This house was burnt by the Earl of Cromarty while on his way to Caithness during the time of the 'Forty-five'.

D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.

Kintradwell House is in an extremely poor condition and uninhabited. No date-stone was seen and no obvious features of antiquity were visible in the structure. The building incorporates several phases of construction, the front, or S side being probably 19th century. The rear of the house is of plain design and uncertain date.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 4 April 1962.

The house has been recently fully renovated and is now occupied. No further information regarding its antiquity and history was obtained.

Visited by OS (JB), 8 December 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions